Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 5- Tuesday


Today was much like yesterday, pretty ordinary. Lots of errands in the morning and picking up, planning dinner, and computer catch up in the afternoon. Claire and Quinn were off to camp again today, so Teagan and I did the errands.

A few weeks ago, we decided that we wanted to work on a family project this summer. I thought, in an effort to keep everyone active and from becoming a couch potato, that we would come up with something that incorporated physical activity and raising money to help a charity. Quinn's immediate reaction was that we should raise money for animals. It was a good idea, and Teagan quickly followed suit, but I thought that perhaps we could raise money to help the local homeless. After a lot of bargaining with Quinn and Teagan, and finally, after promising to make a donation to the local animal shelter, everyone agreed that we would find a charity for the homeless.

We quickly set about making a chart to keep track of our progress. It is exactly 1/5 of a mile from the stop sign at the bottom of our court, up, around, and back again. So, 5 laps is one mile. We color in a square for each lap one of us makes. Our goal is 100 miles by the end of summer. We will bike, hike, jog, or walk these miles, or scooter or skate--anything as long as we are moving. I also have a pedometer in case we aren't at home.




We are hoping to make money by getting pledges from friends and family. We haven't hit anyone up yet, but we will ;)


Here is our chart with our first blocks colored. We have officially gone 2-2/5 miles. I biked two laps and walked one, as did the kids.


Those two pictures were before we started and the next one is after we finished.


Here's to a happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment